[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Jun 6 10:45:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 10:26 +0000, Krishna Birth wrote:
> > Do you want to launch a new commercial distro with proper support?
>
> This is a not a commercial distro.

In that case your approach is all wrong and unless you change it your
project is certain to fail.

> > How specific a user experience do you want to provide?
>
> It should have a name, branding and user experience resources you
> normally have on the big successful distros, e.g. Ubuntu and Fedora
> etc.  I found Fedora to be better in a particular problem recently.  I
> could not find a practical solution for Logitech USB Speakers S150
> usage.  Solutions were there on other distros sites, though they would
> not function for me for some reason.  Fedora distro did it and now I
> can play the speakers.   Peppermint Linux and CrunchBang Linux I also
> found to be useful because they had flash incorporated into the Live
> CD and I could watch videos instantly on YouTube.

You have not answered my question. I suspect that is because you
actually do not know what you want beyond the rather vague sense of
something which works in your experience.

That being the case you do not need another distro but rather you should
look to improve upon one or more existing distros.

If you have money to burn on such a project I suggest you might consider
looking into bounty payments to get specific features or devices
supported which you consider important.

> > What target market are you considering for the distro?
>
> The market is the world.  Generally it is going to be the open-minded people.

That is not a market but rather a sign that you've not really considered
the question properly. There are lots of distros out there already so
unless you have a specific market or a specific user experience in mind
starting another one is a waste or time.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk