[Gllug] Bring Your Own Server

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 11:02:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 10:43:20AM +0000, Krishna Birth wrote:
> I am not a techie and thus could any expert please say if there are
> any data centres in GB offering inexpensive, 'Bring Your Own Server'
> service with possibility to set up the India holy river water cooled
> PC into a server for hosting websites?  Sorry if this mailing list
> post is a bit different to the what you are used to.

Yes, most data centres will offer this. The word you are looking for
is "colocation":
	http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=colocation+UK&btnG=Search

I'm sure everyone has their own personal stories on who is good or bad
(mine is Zen good, C4L bad).

Prices start about 50 GBP per month for 1U, with some variation on the
location, electrical power and network traffic you use.

The only odd thing you may want to think about is the reliabilty and
servicing of the server's water cooling system. What works on a
workbench in an office may not be good enough when you are in a fully
packed rack of servers. IPMI or lmsensors can use used to report on
temperatures, and a monitoring system like Nagios can be used to send
you emails in event of the server being too hot.