[Gllug] Bring Your Own Server

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jun 12 17:08:59 UTC 2011

On 12/06/11 11:43, Krishna Birth wrote:
> I am not a techie and thus could any expert please say if there are
> any data centres in GB offering inexpensive, 'Bring Your Own Server'
> service with possibility to set up the India holy river water cooled
> PC into a server for hosting websites?  Sorry if this mailing list
> post is a bit different to the what you are used to.

Further to what other people have said, I'd query what your primary
objective is.

If you want a vanity server with an unusual USP on which you can host a
few low volume web sites then you don't really need it in a data centre.
  It will be much cheaper to get a broadband connection with a fixed IP
address and host your sites from home.

If on the other hand your primary objective is to find a home for some
web sites then you're almost certainly better off with some sort of
virtual server out in the clouds.  Then the hardware is Someone Else's
Problem, which is usually an advantage.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk