[Gllug] Not installing stuff.

Avi lists at avi.co
Thu Jun 2 09:59:16 UTC 2011

general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion John but I've just written a couple of shims
> for sendmail and mailx and I'm going to either try what paul suggests
> - using equivs (or some such) to persuade apt I already have an MTA,
> and/or what Andy suggests - package my prog as a .deb file.

There is another lazier option - create a package that doesn't
actually contain anything, but does tell apt that it provides an MTA,
and leave your home-brew MTA as is.

Arguably less maintainable (though given a sensible name and
description you [or anyone else] should be able to work out what's
going on down the line) but perhaps easier than packaging up your MTA.

That said, simple packages are incredibly easy to make.

--
Avi
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk