[Gllug] BE Broadband (was Off Topic: Backup ISP)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 19:21:08 UTC 2011

B1;2305;0cOn Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:01:11PM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
<snip>
> One thing puzzles me though.  Our current ISP, Plusnet, say
> that 6 MBps is the best our line will support.  BE say that
> we should expect 11 MBps.
>
> Why is there such a discrepancy when the circuit is going to
> run over the same local loop?  All explanations gratefully
> received as always.

I would guess that Plus is using ADSL Max ("up to 8 Mbit/s")
and the Be is using ADSL 2+ ("up to 20 Mbit/s").

ADSL 2+ can get a bit more speed on the same bit of copper,
but I would be surprised at 11Mbit/s as that is almost double.

Both would still depend on a copper phone line to the BT Exchange,
so there is a possiblity that both lines will go down at the same
time.