[Gllug] Multiple phones on a home network with single router

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 08:20:59 UTC 2011

On Thu 17 Mar, t.clarke wrote:

> I have three sockets (all 'masters' as I couldn't be bothered to fiddle around
> with the extra wires to support ringing on the 'extensions')  with two of them
> spurred/daisy-chained off the back of the master socket:
>

> BTline>----+Master----filter--Phone1
>            +--<40feet>-------socket2-----------socket3
>                                 |                 |
>                               filter            filter
>                               |   |               |
>                           Phone2  ADSL         Phone 3
>
> and the arrangement works fine     (7.6Mbps download)
>
> But then I am only 1.5 - 2 miles from the exchange...

   Each Master socket has additional components to terminate the incoming
pair, and they can be monitored to automatically test the line and report
faults. Adding an additional Master socket can signal a fault condition.

> I have never understood why a few extra feet from the master socket should make
> any real difference if the sockets are properly filtered;  bearing in mind that
> the extra few feet are a fraction of the total line length.

   The main difference is that line balance is lost when you use the ringer
capacitor and extend the now unbalanced ringer wire.

>   The big difference
> I have found is the quality of the microfilters (I have had some crappy ones
> in the past  - it is worth buying good quality ones and avoiding the cheapos).

   Agreed, just get the one designed for the job and no others are needed. A
friend who had a problem last week with a "Sky" feed watched as it was cured
by the engineer fitting a faceplate filter.

Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk