[Gllug] Multiple phones on a home network with single router

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Mar 18 06:16:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 23:45 +0000, t.clarke wrote:

> I have never understood why a few extra feet from the master socket should make
> any real difference if the sockets are properly filtered;

It won't as long as your extension wiring uses twisted-pair cable.
Unfortunately, many cheap 'n' nasty extension kits use flat ribbon
cable, which is very lossy at ADSL frequencies.  This is why most ADSL
suppliers suggest that punters use the master socket for their modem, to
eliminate the effects of these extensions.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk