[Gllug] VPS, MX records and Virtualmin (WAS Re: Recommend value for money Linux cloud hosting?)

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Mar 16 23:49:42 UTC 2011

On 16/03/11 09:08, Neil Macvicar wrote:
> Check out www.hetzner.de dedicated servers. The _best_ provider that I have ever used, and i've used most of them.
>
> 1. Customer support is always prompt.
> 2. You can request physical reboots.
> 3. Prices are great.
> 4. Speeds are fantastic.
> 5. Lowest price dedicated servers start from 30 euros with no setup fee.
>
> Cheers,
> --Neil.

Good god those are cheap! I'm on the verge of ordering one to
consolidate several of my clients websites onto but one thing's
bothering me...

I've setup a few of my clients on Google Apps (mainly for the email) and
this entailed going into cPanel and adding an MX record that points to
Google's mail servers. While I'm fairly sure I can setup Apache, PHP &
MySql OK I'm at a loss as to how I would configure these same MX records
if I get my own server/vps.

As far as I know MX records are the purview of DNS servers. previously
with my WHM/cPanel setup I assumed requests to change an MX record in
cPanel were somehow relayed to my hosting provider's nameserver, all I
had to do was put my providers nameservers into my domain registrar's
control panel and add an MX record via my site's cPanel, easy.

With a VPS setup such as hetzner provide how would I go about setting up
an MX record? Do they provide a nameserver that I can add to/edit via
their website? Do they pickup DNS entries/zones from a file somewhere
within my VPS? Do I have to install and configure bind and run my own
DNS server!?

Also, on a wider note, my main reason for migration is cost saving and
my secondary reason is so I can run a webapp I have written in python. I
no longer do commercial web development, when I did I always used
WHM/cPanel based hosting, I don't have a lot of spare time, the idea of
setting up a mail-server terrifies me, I have only used linux for about
2 years full time (on the desktop) and I am not really interested in
pursuing a career as a sysadmin (although knowledge is never a bad
thing) so... with all that in mind...

Should I tough it out on the command line or just make installing
Virtualmin GPL my first priority?

Cheers,

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk