[Gllug] Multiple phones on a home network with single router

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:03:21 UTC 2011

Hi all,
    I have a very basic question about home networking.

    I have a single router that is plugged into the phone socket via
a splitter. The phone is also plugged into the splitter. Everything
works fine.

    I want to connect another telephone set in another room. When
I connect this other phone, a) it gets all the noise from the router,
and b) I can't access the internet anymore. So clearly, this would
not work. So I bought another splitter and connected the phone
through that, and that doesn't work either. In retrospect, I wouldn't
expect it to work as the splitter is just a passive device, right?

    However, it _should_ be possible to connect multiple phones
while using a router, right?

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks and apologies in advance for being this clueless.

--Sanatan

--
Sanatan Rai
3, Admirals Court,