[Gllug] Multiple phones on a home network with single router

'lesleyb' lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Thu Mar 17 22:37:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:51:49PM +0000, Sanatan Rai wrote:
> On 17 March 2011 06:26, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 01:03 +0000, Sanatan Rai wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>     I have a very basic question about home networking.
> >>
> >>     I have a single router that is plugged into the phone socket via
> >> a splitter. The phone is also plugged into the splitter. Everything
> >> works fine.
> >>
>  <blah snipped>
>
> > In the simplest set up, with multiple sockets on a line, each telephone
> > requires its own "micro filter", and if you have a Sky box, that'll need
> > one too.  Get another filter, and you're sorted.
>
>     Got you: I bought a simple splitter instead of a proper filter. Duh.
>
> > There is a slightly better way of setting things up (if you can be
> > bothered): if your router is located at the "master" socket - that's the
> > first one that comes in from the street - you can get a replacement
> > faceplate that includes the filter and has two socket holes on the front
> > - one for ADSL and one for the telephone.  Extension phones then connect
> > to the IDC connections inside the socket, but these terminals are AFTER
> > the filter, so all the extension phones are filtered.  This can
> > sometimes give slightly improved data rates, too.
>
>     Thanks for the insight: I rent in an apartment bloc, so no chance
> of doing this.
> However, how would one figure out which socket is the first one in
> from the street?
> I guess if one had a complete wiring diagram, then it's a doddle, but
> if one didn't,
> then?

You should have a BT master socket in your apartment.  Replacing the face
plate is okay, as in perfectly legal to do from a telecomms point of view
and any telecom engineer can fit the faceplate and any extensions.

However, it is really isn't hard to do.  You'll need a screwdriver to
unscrew the existing faceplate from the socket and you'll need to either
go out and buy a replacement faceplate or order it off the t'Internet.

See this pic http://www.solwise.co.uk/images/adsl-nteface-atl-mid.jpg
for the concepts of what's involved.  It shows the back and front.
On the back is a horizontal plug to plug into your BT phone line in
the master socket.  The vertical bit is where you need to connect any
extensions in the flat.

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/installation/installing-an-adsl-faceplate-splitter-t6.html
shows a different type where the extension connection block is also
horizontal.

Take a look at http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/tutorial.html to see
schematic diagrams of what's involved. Using the ADSL splitter on the
master socket may be far cheaper than running round putting filters on
all your equipment.

Keep the old faceplate and replace it when you leave.  You can buy
a cheap plastic tool to make and break the extension connections.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm shows the
variation in price from 4.54 to 10.92 and this forum
http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showthread.php?9065-Problem-using-several-RJ45-BTS-adapters-with-ADSL-Master-Faceplate-Splitter
shows an interesting question.

Hope you get something sorted.

Regards