[Gllug] Off Topic: Backup ISP

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 11:50:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:05:21PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:28:25AM +0100, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
>> I haven't tried them myself as I am out of their range, but I've heard
>> nothin but good about be
>> www.bethere.co.uk
>> but whatever you do, DO NOT GET "ORANGE HOME BROADBAND" I am, rather
>> unfortunately, locked into a 2 year contract, and get arround 0.1 Mbps on
>> their 8Mbps thing (I hezitate to call it service) and suffer no end of
>> traffic shaping, service management, and all that other crap
>
> If what you get is markedly different from what they said that they
> would deliver - then they have broken the contract and so you should
> be able to leave.  They will wiggle & threaten, but you are entitled
> to what you agreed to.

Their obvious answer if to say it is "up to 8Mbit/s" and depends on
distance from the exchange, quality of phone line, customer equipment,
etc.

But 100Kbit/s is much too low for any of those factors unless there is
a real fault somewhere. I think that an ADSL Max ("up to 8Mbit/s") will
not even sync at less than 288Kbit/s.

Look at what speed the router has for it's sync, if that is not within
about 20% of the download speed you get then the problem is likely
farther upstream at Orange. Then that is their problem and they can
not shift blame on to BT.