[Gllug] Whitehall IT chief Ian Watmore attacks Labour's record

Iain Conochie iain at shihad.org
Wed Mar 30 16:20:40 UTC 2011

On 30/03/11 16:12, John Hearns wrote:
> Whitehall IT chief Ian Watmore attacks Labour's record
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12905303
>

> On open source software:
>
> "Mr Watmore, who claims to have already saved £2bn in Whitehall
> efficiencies, said he wants to end the UK government's reliance on
> Microsoft products, which are used by about 90% of civil servants.
>
> He insisted the government was committed to using more "open source"
> software to save cash - but had to balance this with concerns about
> how easily it could be "hacked".
>
> His "personal" view, he added, was that Apple products, which he said
> he used at home, should also be used more in government."
>
> So open source software is more easily hacked?
> Someone PLEASE invite Mr Watmore to a GLLUG meeting so we can beat him
> with a clue stick.

These guys never seem to have a clue :( I've given up with hoping to
hear something sensible come from them

However I thought that this was quite interesting from an
open-source-business point of view

http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2010/06/why-no-billiondollar-open-source-companies/index.htm

Some sane and pretty reasonable commentary

> And just what the hells ruddy bells to Apple computers run but a
> variant of BSD? (Yes I KNOW it is not open source).

Base OS is BSD which is open source (but not free software)

However their GUI is proprietary.

Cheers

Iain

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk