[Gllug] Whitehall IT chief Ian Watmore attacks Labour's record

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:12:20 UTC 2011

Whitehall IT chief Ian Watmore attacks Labour's record

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12905303

On open source software:

"Mr Watmore, who claims to have already saved £2bn in Whitehall
efficiencies, said he wants to end the UK government's reliance on
Microsoft products, which are used by about 90% of civil servants.

He insisted the government was committed to using more "open source"
software to save cash - but had to balance this with concerns about
how easily it could be "hacked".

His "personal" view, he added, was that Apple products, which he said
he used at home, should also be used more in government."

So open source software is more easily hacked?
Someone PLEASE invite Mr Watmore to a GLLUG meeting so we can beat him
with a clue stick.

And just what the hells ruddy bells to Apple computers run but a
variant of BSD? (Yes I KNOW it is not open source).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk