[Gllug] Multiple phones on a home network with single router

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:51:49 UTC 2011

On 17 March 2011 06:26, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 01:03 +0000, Sanatan Rai wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     I have a very basic question about home networking.
>>
>>     I have a single router that is plugged into the phone socket via
>> a splitter. The phone is also plugged into the splitter. Everything
>> works fine.

 <blah snipped>

> In the simplest set up, with multiple sockets on a line, each telephone
> requires its own "micro filter", and if you have a Sky box, that'll need
> one too.  Get another filter, and you're sorted.

    Got you: I bought a simple splitter instead of a proper filter. Duh.

> There is a slightly better way of setting things up (if you can be
> bothered): if your router is located at the "master" socket - that's the
> first one that comes in from the street - you can get a replacement
> faceplate that includes the filter and has two socket holes on the front
> - one for ADSL and one for the telephone.  Extension phones then connect
> to the IDC connections inside the socket, but these terminals are AFTER
> the filter, so all the extension phones are filtered.  This can
> sometimes give slightly improved data rates, too.

    Thanks for the insight: I rent in an apartment bloc, so no chance
of doing this.
However, how would one figure out which socket is the first one in
from the street?
I guess if one had a complete wiring diagram, then it's a doddle, but
if one didn't,
then?

--Sanatan
--