[Gllug] VPS, MX records and Virtualmin

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 19 00:04:28 UTC 2011

On 18 Mar 2011, Neil Macvicar stated:
> On your point of problematic MX records, if you were serious about
> having deliverability, you would have had at least two MX records,
> each record resolving to a machine distinctly separate network wise
> and company wise. This would have mitigated the problem you outlined.

Yeah, unfortunately my tertiary MX had vanished some time ago and I
hadn't noticed (I have better monitoring tools now). The secondary was
run by said imploding ISP... the same guys who had just changed my
IP address without notice and broken my primary MX.

Fun.

> All in all though, good points to provoke thought when planning what to do !

Yeah. In the end, no matter what you do, everything *will* fail. The trick
is to maximize the time until that happens...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk