[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Wed May 4 16:46:27 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 10:04, Iain M Conochie wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I have a dual-core Athlon computer (which is overkill, but it does other
>> things) running MythTV to record television and  I can then stream it to
>> a Playstation 3 when I want to watch it (although any UPnP client should
>> work). As far as I am aware, MythTV should also be able to stream music
>> to the PS 3 although this isn't something I've tried.
>>
> Does MythTV present itself as a "Media Server" in PS3 speak? How do you
>
> configure the playstation to "see" the linux machine?
>
> Cheers
>
> Iain

If you have access to a PS 3 and just want to try it out with recorded
Freeview SD television, then you can get MythTV running on reasonably
low-end hardware. The only thing you're actually doing when recording
Freeview is dumping the television stream to the hard disk so very
little CPU time is actually used. As I recall, I had a PIII 1GHz and an
internal PCI Freeview card recording television and then serving it to a
PS 3.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk