[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:16:38 UTC 2011

On 4 May 2011 01:24, Gary Pownall <gary_pownall at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking about building an HTPC and I would love it to run Linux but I'm concerned the graphics drivers (ATI ) may not be as good as the one's they write for windows, also I've heard linux doesn't do 1080p
>
> I'd be watching live TV and Blu Ray mainly, as well as music etc...
>
> I'd appreciate some advice and help in reaching a decision.

I have a Zotac ZBOX ID-11.
It is a atom CPU and Nvidia graphics card.
I boot it with a SD card into ubuntu linux running mythtv.
It handles 1080p fine using nvidia's vdpau.
Unfortunately, I have to use the closed source nvidia drivers to get the vdpau.
I do not have any Blu Ray discs, so I cannot tell you if blu ray
playing works or not in Linux.
I am playing Satellite HD video via mythtv.
I am also playing Camcorder HD AVC 1080p videos on it.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk