[Gllug] Phone scam?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat May 7 06:23:14 UTC 2011

On 17/04/11 20:57, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 13:16 +0100, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>
>> You can report to New Scotland Yard Fraud Office
> You can, but it'll be a waste of time.  They have no interest whatsoever
> in trying to clamp down on these obvious frauds.  They claim that they
> don't have sufficient manpower, but the truth is that they simply don't
> understand the crime.
>
> Incidently, the Plods have little or no computing expertise, and the few
> computer forensic moves they know are entirely defeated by the use of
> Linux, BSD or anything else that's not Windoze!
>
> C.

Really?

I read several forensics blogs and some of these guys seem really on top
of their game. I'm pretty sure sans run several non-windows forensics
courses too. A large part of the donkeywork of modern forensics is
carving image and document files from offline disk images and looking
for incriminating "hashes" that prove certain files exist on a system.
The other large part is timeline analysis, placing downloads and program
initiations onto a timeline and checking timestmaps have not been
tampered with. Neither of those things are much harder on non-windows
platforms than on windows and there are people in the UK with those
skills - whether there are enough of them is a separate point. To think
running linux or BSD makes you immune to forensic analysis if you are
suspected of committing a relatively serious crime would be very naive!

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk