[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed May 4 04:48:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 01:24 +0100, Gary Pownall wrote:
> I'm thinking about building an HTPC and I would love it to run Linux but I'm concerned the graphics drivers (ATI ) may not be as good as the one's they write for windows, also I've heard linux doesn't do 1080p
>
> I'd be watching live TV and Blu Ray mainly, as well as music etc...
>
> I'd appreciate some advice and help in reaching a decision.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Gary
> --

I'm running 1080p on this Ubuntu box, out of a modern nVidia card with
an HDMI lead to a 22" LG monitor.  Looks great, plays Blu-ray discs and
reproduces Sky's "HD" (720 line) service OK.

Unfortunately, I can't vouch for the ATI drivers, but I would be very
surprised if they were significantly poorer than the nVidia ones.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk