[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Wed May 4 08:46:34 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 01:24, Gary Pownall wrote:
> I'm thinking about building an HTPC and I would love it to run Linux but I'm concerned the graphics drivers (ATI ) may not be as good as the one's they write for windows, also I've heard linux doesn't do 1080p
>
> I'd be watching live TV and Blu Ray mainly, as well as music etc...
>
> I'd appreciate some advice and help in reaching a decision.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Gary
> --

You may find that nVidia cards are better suited to offloading the
processing on high resolution videos due to VDPAU.

http://xbmc.org/

Hardware discussion:-
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112

http://www.mythtv.org/

However, personally, for just fulfilling the requirements you've
mentioned (the "etc..." is the only issue), I'd buy a dedicated consumer
unit, something along the lines of:-
http://www.freeviewhdrecorder.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:bd-c8500&catid=40:freeviewboxes&Itemid=18
<http://www.freeviewhdrecorder.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:bd-c8500&catid=40:freeviewboxes&Itemid=18>
I'm pretty much certain that this will be the easiest and cheapest of
all the options open to you to accomplish what you want (minus the
intangibles).

If you're set on a HTPC then I'd write down specifically what you want
it to do and try to match up which software accomplishes this. Then
explore the hardware options and, again, find the best match for your
requirements.

I have a dual-core Athlon computer (which is overkill, but it does other
things) running MythTV to record television and  I can then stream it to
a Playstation 3 when I want to watch it (although any UPnP client should
work). As far as I am aware, MythTV should also be able to stream music
to the PS 3 although this isn't something I've tried.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk