[Gllug] Bootable USB backup like OS X dmg?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun May 29 16:56:26 UTC 2011

On 27/05/11 14:23, John Hearns wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 12:50, James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> wrote:
>> I did clone a live system a couple of time using rsync as downtime between
>> box shift had to be minimised. Generally, I prefer lvm snap shots with tar
>> or dump, I am always afraid with rsync I will send the data the wrong way,
> I agree with you there.
> Note to anyone using rsync - always, always run it first with the -n option.
> This dies a dummy run, and is a double check against doing something stupid.
> --

Really?

Not wanting to tempt fate but I use rsync on different machines every
single day and have managed to do so for some time without confusing
source and destination... it's source first, destination second. The
convention couldn't be better established, why do you think every other
version of dd out there just got rid of the if= and of= notation?

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk