[Gllug] Alternatives to googlemail

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun May 29 12:23:59 UTC 2011

On 29/05/11 12:21, Andy Millar wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 12:18 +0100, Lucian wrote:
>> How is exchange keeping your data secure? How is any other email
>> solution (self hosted that is) NOT keeping the data secure?
> See the other point (about compatibility with devices) - that's the main
> win here.
>
> Any self-hosted solution should be good for keeping your data secure.

Is this the point where I say that security is not a boolean, it's a real?

I'm running Exchange because it does the job and it was a freebie with
some hardware I was given. I could have put together a Linux solution if
I wanted but Exchange took me less than an hour to install and configure
and it does what I need. It may not be as secure as a custom-built BSD
system but I don't need that level of security and I'm not going to
invest the time it would take me to design and build a more secure
system. Most small companies I've worked for feel the same way. They
aren't expecting to be deliberately targeted because they aren't a
tempting target. While most bog-standard installs are secure enough to
keep out the skript kiddies there isn't a need for ultra secure systems
everywhere.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com