[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri May 6 06:41:34 UTC 2011

On Fri 06 May, Andrew Davies wrote:

> firmware. Humax have a very good reputation for Freeview boxes so they
> might be worth a go for a consumer box.

   I have a Humax box that crashes every few weeks, and the recording lists
pick up loads of errors. Part of the problem is that there is a hill between
my roof aerial and Crystal Palace, with tall buildings alongside and no
local repeater, and best results are achieved with the the aerial pointing
along the busiest road in London.
   I am considering Freesat, but that might restrict the number of
concurrent TV channels that can be viewed or recorded. Some of my neighbours
have satellite dishes, and all appear to aim close to the line of the A40.
Perhaps record from Freesat but watch Freeview.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk