[Gllug] IPv6?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri May 6 15:17:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 03:44:23PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 15:13 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> > IPv6 was a factor is me deciding to go with UKFSN ... and I have not quite
> > achieved it ... the main problem was finding a suitable ADSL Modem. The last
> > time I looked at it there were several lash-it-up-yourself suggestions, but
> > I didn't quite have the time for it.
> >
> > Have things improved in the last 2 years, what is the current recommendation for a
> > decent modem that supports IPv6 ? Ideally: buy, plug in, 5 minutes config & go.
>
> Some manufacturers are now showing awareness of the need to provide
> native IPv6 support. ZyXel announced something last month. Fritzbox have
> supported IPv6 for quite some time. I've seen one other big consumer
> brand offer something recently but I cannot remember who.
>
> Some customers are using bridging mode on their router or ADSL modem and
> a decent router behind that. Fibre/FTTC customers are in that position
> by default as the BTO supplied VDSL modem presents ethernet. I just
> bought a RouterBoard based device to do this on my Fibre connection here
> so as to have proper IPv6 support.

A look and I find at #234.44:

	http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_2812hnu_series.shtml

That is several times the price of an ordinary (IPv4) modem, so I can't
see many people buying it. What is needed to support IPv6 is not a huge
amount more - just a decent version of whatever Linux kernel that they
are using, maybe another couple of MB of RAM - so I can't see how they can
justify the price.

Anyway: we all know that with something new ''supports'' is almost meaningless,
what I really want I suppose is a list of 'this is good' 'this is crap' type
reviews/recommendations.

Jason: what are your IPv6 customers using ? I only want to know of those who
are happy with what they have.

Regards

--
Alain Williams