[Gllug] IPv6?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri May 6 14:44:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 15:13 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> IPv6 was a factor is me deciding to go with UKFSN ... and I have not quite
> achieved it ... the main problem was finding a suitable ADSL Modem. The last
> time I looked at it there were several lash-it-up-yourself suggestions, but
> I didn't quite have the time for it.
>
> Have things improved in the last 2 years, what is the current recommendation for a
> decent modem that supports IPv6 ? Ideally: buy, plug in, 5 minutes config & go.

Some manufacturers are now showing awareness of the need to provide
native IPv6 support. ZyXel announced something last month. Fritzbox have
supported IPv6 for quite some time. I've seen one other big consumer
brand offer something recently but I cannot remember who.

Some customers are using bridging mode on their router or ADSL modem and
a decent router behind that. Fibre/FTTC customers are in that position
by default as the BTO supplied VDSL modem presents ethernet. I just
bought a RouterBoard based device to do this on my Fibre connection here
so as to have proper IPv6 support.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk