[Gllug] Apple Ipod Help

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun May 15 23:43:58 UTC 2011

On Sunday, 15 May 2011, Nix wrote:
>David Damerell wrote (in another message-ID, sorry):
>If you carry AAA batteries around with you, this changes, of course.

Even absent already having standardised on AAA, I'd carry n with the
music player where I expect to be away from home for n times its
battery life, which'd be comparable to (say) a USB cable for it and
work even if I'm out on the bike at 5 in the morning (and no, this is
not a contrived case for me :-).

>On 14 May 2011, Avi spake thusly:
>>Modern (software) music players cope very well with completely ignoring
>>the directory structure and using file metadata instead, I really don't
>>see why ignoring this would be a plus point for a hardware music player.
>Well, my iPod runs rockbox mostly because its metadata support makes it
>completely useless for me.

And the original suggestion's a straw man anyway. No-one is suggesting
a hardware music player is better for the very fact of ignoring file
metadata, but that ideally it should work as well as it can without it
(and besides, since much of it is in the ID3 or equivalent tags
anyway, "just copy files" doesn't imply not having a lot of it!)
rather than - like an ipod - being deliberately designed not to work
at all.

By all means let it learn something if the files get put on it by an
iTunes-alike, but Avi's suggestion that anyone sees not doing so as a
plus point is absurd. What I see as a plus point is that I'm not
_forced_ to use iTunes - ie, to stray briefly back towards the topic,
I can copy files onto my music player from the same Linux system I
rip CDs [1] on - or from practically any computer I might decide to use.

[1] using abcde, which incidentally is jolly handy and really is in
the "configure, and then run one command for each CD inserted"
Nirvana we might desire...

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Clown shoes. I hope that doesn't bother you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk