[Gllug] OT: Kindle Networking

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Wed May 18 21:02:31 UTC 2011

Mick Farmer wrote:
>  Dear Richard,
>
>  I thank those people who've replied with valuable information and
>  some pointers to where to look next.
>
>  I'm running Wireshark monitoring my wi-fi network.
>
>  My Kindle and my router are using LLC (Link Layer Control?) to
>  communicate with one another.  This is not anything I've investigated
>  before so, before I dive in, can any of you give me some idea of what
>  to look for?  Or is it a red herring?

Red Herring. LLC (Logical Link Control) concerns itself with management
of traffic rather than creating traffic. Your Kindle will be
communicating using TCP/IP.

>  Presumably data is flowing from my Kindle to my router and then on to
>  Amazon but I have no way of monitoring that last step.  Any ideas?

Your Kindle will use an internal IP address, and is available both from
the device itself, and many routers will enumerate it in the dhcp table.
Filtering on that IP address with wireshark will inform you more about
that traffic that transpires; as mentioned before, there will be no
traffic when it isn't communicating but it might still be 'connected'.
Restart the Kindle while watching Wireshark as above, and assuming it
picks up the same IP address again, you may well see the connection
being bought up between it, the Kindle, and Amazon with a SYN packet.

There will be no difference between your Kindle connecting to Amazon,
and (say) a linux laptop connecting to eBay, at least as far as
Wireshark is concerned; so might I suggest that you familiarise yourself
with how WS behaves as and when you make a specific connection (start
with a simple HTTP connection, then HTTPS). Once you know what to look
for when watching your own traffic, you'll be much better placed to
watch what the Kindle does as you switch it on and it starts making
connections out.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann