[Gllug] OT: Kindle Networking

Mick Farmer mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed May 18 22:19:14 UTC 2011

Dear Alistair,

Yes, I assumed that I'd see TCP/IP traffic between Amazon
and my Kindle, but I didn't!

The experiment was as follows.

Internet<-->Router<-->Laptop (192.168.7.6)
              ^

            Kindle (IP not known?)

I'm running Wireshark on my laptop, which can see all
traffic.  I visit the Amazon Kindle e-book site and arrange
to buy Oliver Twist using 1-click, at no cost.  My Kindle is
on and has settled down (burst of LLC traffic).

I press the Amazon 1-click to buy and it arrives on my
Kindle after a couple of seconds.

I look at Wireshark.  No TCP/IP!  Just lots of LLC between
Netgear_9f:fd:9s (which is the MAC address of my Netgear
router) and Private_df:84:54 (which is the MAC address of my
Kindle).

So, what gives?  As far as I can see, there's no IP traffic
on my internal network!  There's a little at the end, but
that seems to be between my router and my laptop updating
the Wireshark information.

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /
Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk