[Gllug] IPv6?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri May 6 07:59:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 08:05 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    All my Linux boxes (except my current firewall) should be happy with IPv4
> and IPv6 and I had assumed that I would eventually get an allocated IPv6
> address, possibly related to my fixed IPv4 address so that one can be
> tunnelled through the other, and that eventually all IPv4 addresses would be
> withdrawn. I have not seen any suggested schedule, so perhaps it might
> happen as domain allocations are renewed. Reading the information provided
> by UKFSN it seems that it might be either/or so any IPv6 allocation will
> immediately replace IPv4. Is that correct?

No. It's about as far into the realms of incorrect that you can go ;)

If you already have a static IPv4 address there is no suggestion that it
will be taken from you.

When you get an IPv6 address it will not be based upon your IPv4 address
unless you specifically use a tunnelling service that does that which
isn't really optimal so it's unlikely. The tunnelling services I've
tried out all allocate normal IPv6 - either as a /128 single IP or a /64
network allocation.

Those with a UKFSN broadband connection (except for C&W LLU based ones)
can get a native IPv6 network allocation already. This runs dual stack
so you have both IPv4 and IPv6.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk