[Gllug] App development for children

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu May 19 18:03:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 09:05 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:

>    Some years ago now I was invited to a discussion at the BETT education
> exhibition. One of the teachers attending explained that she had just been
> appointed as head of IT and had come along to find out what it involved.
> Have things improved?

No.  If anything, things have become worse!

Schools spend inordinate amounts of money on software (invariably MS
software and "operating systems"), and on overpriced commodity hardware.
The hardware is frequently re-badged well-known brands (HP and Dell
machines marked up by 175% and with an "RM" sticker attached).

In most schools, the machines are invariably physically damaged, riddled
with malware, and connected to the 'net by a crude filtering system that
the kids can trivially circumvent (but costs £100s per port per year).

This is NOT an environment conducive to good teaching!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk