[Gllug] Raspberry Pi

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue May 10 15:22:23 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 16:07, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
> More worryingly, today's yoof will be running the datacentres of
> tomorrow, and will give you strange looks when you ask for a serial
> console for your hosted server. This is already happening. At the
> moment, there are still plenty of alternative suppliers if your
> hosting company does that, but I fear that won't be true for much
> longer.

Indeed. All of my SGI big iron is reachable using a console machine -
 what SGI refer to as Level 2 consoles - you log into them, and can always be
assured of getting a root login when things are going tits up, and
being able to reset the machine
if in desperation.
You really, really do not want to have to depend on finding a GUI
capable machine, or running some X-session
across a low bandwidth remote connection to diagnose a faulty machine
when the poo is hitting the fan and you have
a pack of engineers breathing down your neck.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk