[Gllug] QT GUI Project

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue May 10 15:11:18 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 15:53, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Most companies have the good sense to specify a corporate policy which
> forbids employees from installing unauthorised computers or unauthorised
> software. This is necessary from a legal perspective as the employer is
> liable for any unlawful activity and also because the employer has a
> duty of care to provide and support the necessary tools for the
> workplace.

This is true.
The author also works for a company which supplies highly technical
software to the oil industry.

As I've said, I have worked for several companies which sell, build
and support High Performance Computing systems
to academia and industry. Actually such systems are not exclusively
Linux - the companies I worked for did Solaris in the past,
and also Windows HPC systems, but I digress.

The way to handle this one is as all things in a company - make a
business case for it.
Your customers either want systems with a Linux GUI or indeed you have
measured that a Linux system will give them a more performant
system, or maybe only a Linux system can do the job - ie only certain
libraries are available in Linux.
You need to say to your directors "We need a Linux development system
in-house. Here's where I can get one, here's what its going to cost".
In my experience, the IT types will host it on the "its an
experimental system, don't blame us when it goes tits up Gov" basis.
Hence my earlier comments about supporting engineering type companies
- I supported one system in an engineering consultancy in Croydon,
and another in a cerain maker of ejection seats. Systems like that
were put in with the full knowledge and help of IT staff, I hasten to
add.

The point I'm kind of making is that a HPTC system is different from a
complete desktop rollout - which your IT types will shy away from,
probably
with some good reasons.
HPTC type systems tend to sit alone in a corner of the server room -
or these days under a desk. They come with their own storage arrays
etc.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk