[Gllug] Do you still have meetings?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue May 31 09:50:48 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:38:40PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:

>    This correspondence list has a number of very knowledgable experienced
> users who are happy to offer advice. GLLUG started with a relatively small
> number of ebthusiasts who wanted to use a new system. We are now in a
> situation where large numbers of people are starting to discover that there
> is more than Microsoft, but one of the differences is the amount there is to
> learn about.

However, there are some other significant differences, of which the
three most significant in this context are:

 1. A huge number of sources from which to learn, compared to the early
   days of GLLUG.
 2. Mainstream IT acceptance and adoption of Linux (almost everybody is
   using it *somewhere*).
 3. Much friendlier installers in most Linux distributions.

New Linux users are much less dependent on LUGs now and, brutally, LUGs
are much less useful to the expert users who used to give talks or help
out at installfests.  LUG advocates who don't realise this are much like
the perplexed, beardy CAMRA members who don't understand why people are
now just drinking good beer in regular pubs without first reading CAMRA
pamphlets to find out how they *should* be enjoying it.  (To be accurate,
they often are one and the same person).

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock