[Gllug] Alternatives to googlemail

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Sun May 29 23:48:19 UTC 2011

On 29/05/11 22:32, Martyn Drake wrote:
> On 29 May 2011 11:06, Daniel Mang<danielmang at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I am looking into the possibility of finally transferring my email
>> away from google (for some reasons see
>> http://www.google-watch.org/gmail.html).
>>
> Well, if you want somebody to host your email other than doing it
> yourself, you've got to trust somebody.
For my personal email (which I do depend upon a lot, quite disturbingly)
I use google; for my company account, I'm happy to pay Rackspace
£12/month for their support and backups. To be honest, in 12 months of
using their service, I've not had to call on them, so I don't have any
direct experience to say that it is worth it, but I feel comfortable in
knowing that I'm paying for that service, so it should be there if I
need it.

I first contacted Rackspace because I fancied running my own
web/mail/git/etc server, just in case I needed to, but the price for
their spam-filtered service convinced me that I can't be bothered
working out what is spam and what is not. Their system works fine for
me, and it's straight standards-compliant IMAPS and secure SMTP, so it
works with my PCs, Android, etc.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk