[Gllug] IPv6?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri May 6 14:13:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 08:59:00AM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 08:05 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    All my Linux boxes (except my current firewall) should be happy with IPv4
> > and IPv6 and I had assumed that I would eventually get an allocated IPv6
> > address, possibly related to my fixed IPv4 address so that one can be
> > tunnelled through the other, and that eventually all IPv4 addresses would be
> > withdrawn. I have not seen any suggested schedule, so perhaps it might
> > happen as domain allocations are renewed. Reading the information provided
> > by UKFSN it seems that it might be either/or so any IPv6 allocation will
> > immediately replace IPv4. Is that correct?
>
> No. It's about as far into the realms of incorrect that you can go ;)
>
> If you already have a static IPv4 address there is no suggestion that it
> will be taken from you.
>
> When you get an IPv6 address it will not be based upon your IPv4 address
> unless you specifically use a tunnelling service that does that which
> isn't really optimal so it's unlikely. The tunnelling services I've
> tried out all allocate normal IPv6 - either as a /128 single IP or a /64
> network allocation.
>
> Those with a UKFSN broadband connection (except for C&W LLU based ones)
> can get a native IPv6 network allocation already. This runs dual stack
> so you have both IPv4 and IPv6.

IPv6 was a factor is me deciding to go with UKFSN ... and I have not quite
achieved it ... the main problem was finding a suitable ADSL Modem. The last
time I looked at it there were several lash-it-up-yourself suggestions, but
I didn't quite have the time for it.

Have things improved in the last 2 years, what is the current recommendation for a
decent modem that supports IPv6 ? Ideally: buy, plug in, 5 minutes config & go.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk