[Gllug] Phone scam?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 7 22:06:02 UTC 2011

On 7 May 2011, Christopher Hunter uttered the following:
> The "computer forensics" I've seen are entirely defeated by any
> filesystem that's not NTFS or FAT (and they have trouble with NTFS).
> EXT3 or XFS will completely defeat them, and even the most trivial
> encryption will just get the computer user arrested immediately "because
> he must have something to hide"!

Oops. That might cause me a bit of trouble if the plods should ever get
it into their heads to look at my machine. What's this 20Gb encrypted
disk image, then? Why's that encrypted? Well, 'cos I do have something
to hide. I have a bunch of keys for work's VPN and such things to hide.
The contents of the work virtual machine is not mine in the strictest
sense, even though I set it up, so I am honour-bound (as well as
contractually bound) not to let it leak out to any random cracker. Thus
encryption.

(I suspect that in practice they would *not* arrest me immediately but
instead ask me to decrypt it. I'd do so -- 'cos I'm not an idiot -- and
immediately change the compromised keys at the first possible
opportunity.)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk