[Gllug] Is linux a good bet for HTPC

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Thu May 5 21:22:09 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 21:38, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2011, Iain Conochie wrote:
>

>> <snip>

>>> If you have access to a PS 3 and just want to try it out with
>>> recorded Freeview SD television, then you can get MythTV running on
>>> reasonably low-end hardware. The only thing you're actually doing
>>> when recording Freeview is dumping the television stream to the hard
>>> disk so very little CPU time is actually used. As I recall, I had a
>>> PIII 1GHz and an internal PCI Freeview card recording television and
>>> then serving it to a PS 3.
>>>

>> Nah - I have a NAS server with many DivX movies on it and it would be
>> cool to be able to play them via the PS3 on our TV. I noticed that the
>> PS3 has the option to find Media Servers but I figured this was some
>> M$ thing.
>>

> I have PlayTV which is a usb freeview decoder you plug in to the PS3 and
> some pretty slick PVR software.
> You can get PlayTV for £35 from Amazon with free postage.

A word of warning, the original PS 3 has some horrendous power
consumption numbers for a consumer device :-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10318727-1.html

Recording an average of 1 hour of television per day for an entire year
will cost about £7, plus about the same to watch so it's worth
considering if you're looking at going this route.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk