[Gllug] kvm and slow X performance

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 14:12:46 UTC 2011

On 25 November 2011 21:27, Keith Edmunds <kae at midnighthax.com> wrote:
>> I want to do it this way so that I can use the dom0 so that I can ssh
>> into it, and reboot the VM.
>
> Why does it need to be a VM to do that? You can just ssh into your desktop
> and reboot it if need be.

Nice case of not answering the question and at the same time implying
that I am stupid.

I need to run desktop X apps in a sandbox. Putting them in their own
VM seemed the method that is easiest to manage.
SPICE and QXL look hopeful, I will try those.
I can then provide isolation by running other VMs on the same box for
other tasks.
I have certain applications that I want running 24/7 and others that
are buggy, and need rebooting quite often.
If I separate them in VMs, I can reboot the buggy one, without
impacting the 24/7 one.
The desktop apps fall into the buggy category, and some desktop apps
take the whole desktop down when they go.

This approach might mean that I can run distributed web applications
on desktop machines, without upsetting users.
The distributed web app can run 24/7 and not be affected by the user
restarting their VM.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk