[Gllug] kvm and slow X performance

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 17:06:47 UTC 2011

On 26 Nov 2011, James Roberts spake thusly:

> On 26/11/11 14:12, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> I need to run desktop X apps in a sandbox. Putting them in their own
>> VM seemed the method that is easiest to manage.
>> SPICE and QXL look hopeful, I will try those.
>
> If you manage to get Spice working properly please do post your
> results: I gave up for now (but am probably too thick to succeed :)

They're *fast* -- when they work. Unfortunately for me the qxl driver in
my F14 work VM has started producing nothing but black screens as of
QEMU 0.15 :/ and upgrading to F16 implodes horribly at the
post-installation stage, leaving me with a wrecked VM that won't get as
far as the login prompt, so I'm switching it back to Debian, which Just
Keeps Working. I'll see if spice works with that soon.

> My application had some commonalities: running multiple VM on KVM
> under Proxmox for remote access from US, graphics too slow.

The development goals of SPICE did not include minimizing roundtrips for
high latency connections (though it has fewer than X does). Like X, it's
meant for use on LANs.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk