[Gllug] Fdisk in a pure Linux environment

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed Nov 30 11:15:09 UTC 2011

As grub I believe works with LVM you could create an LVM PV on the whole
disk, and grub would boot the system from that. Personally I would
always put a partition table on the disk, because its a good way to mark
the disk as "used", when you have a system with lots of disks on it
having this safely mechanism is useful.

Grub can be installed on the MBR or on the partition boot area, as
already stated if you have it on the MBR then marketing a partition as
active makes no difference. If however you have a dual or triple boot
machine having grub on a partition rather than the MBR can be useful.
After a windows reinstall all you have to do is set the active partition
back again, rather than reinstalling grub.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk