[Gllug] Fdisk in a pure Linux environment

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Nov 30 12:12:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:05:50AM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I think this is 32 or 64 sectors. fdisk will probably do that for you,

First of all, forget about fdisk.  Don't use it.  Parted is also
horrible[1], but at least it can handle GPT, which is the future of
partitioning once > 2TB disks become common.

Secondly when aligning partitions, align them to 1 MB (2048 sectors
assuming 512 byte sectors).  This is, since around 2008, the standard
alignment for all Windows and Linux operating systems, and there are a
number of good reasons for it.  See:

http://libguestfs.org/virt-alignment-scan.1.html#recommended_alignment

Rich.

[1] At some point I intend to write a library and set of tools to
replace parted ...  not got around to it yet.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk