[Gllug] Fdisk in a pure Linux environment

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:05:50 UTC 2011

On 29 November 2011 23:44, David L Neil <GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk> wrote:

> Meantime as soon as I can physically install the HDD I'd like to employ some
> of the disk space for data or work-space during the
> archiving/spring-cleaning process preparatory to the migration/upgrade...
>
> I am thinking of partitioning the new drive:
> - 100MB ext2 for /boot
> - 2GB for /swap (theory saying <= RAM size)
> - rest as ~100GB partitions which would be LVM-ed for both system and data
> mount points, as needed, and over time.

One thing to watch out for, you need to leave enough sectors before
the first partition so that grub can install its first stage loader.
The second stages go in /boot/grub
I think this is 32 or 64 sectors. fdisk will probably do that for you,
but when putting grub on flash disks, sometimes special care needs to
be taken to get grub to fit.
One thing I do now is leave 1000MB ext2 for /boot, but that is just
me, as I am a kernel developer and need to have multiple different
kernel versions ready to boot.
If it interests you, a default install of Ubuntu leaves 200MB ext2 for /boot.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk