[Gllug] Modern Fault finding techniques

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 19 03:09:38 UTC 2011

On 18 November 2011 12:23, James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> wrote:
> Aaron Trevena wrote:

> That was not my question, I know what might be the problem, what I want to
> know
> is what "modern/better" fault finding techniques people use.

There is no possible correct answer to that.

The person giving you feedback has reached the conclusion that
whatever they (he?)  use is "modern" and by extension they equate
modern with "better" (most likely they mean monitoring software of
some kind, perhaps Nagios, or Tivoli).

Since modern and better are relative and contextual it is anybody's
guess what they mean (and since both Nagios and Tivoli can throw
porkies, you still need an SA that can do proper troubleshooting and
isolation of problems).

Since they had the decency to give you feedback (rare nowadays) I
would ask them to summarize in one or two short sentences which
techniques are these, not because there is something to aim for
(others have explained perfectly valid troubleshooting techniques) but
just out of curiosity about what fellow SAs in the field are doing so
radically different to what you may have suggested.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk