[Gllug] Smart cities get their own operating system -what underlies the McClaren OS?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:41:18 UTC 2011

On 4 October 2011 01:52, Malcolm Blackmore <mblackmore at oxlug.org> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15109403
>>
> Smart cities get their own operating system
> Katia Moskvitch By Katia Moskvitch Technology reporter, BBC News
> A city Smart cities with devices chatting to each other may dot the
> planet in the near future

I haven't heard a dicky bird about any of this.

It is a publicity puff for Living Planit.
>From their webpage (below)
I'm not sure what the're getting at with the 'ensuring no more data
needs to eb processed through the network than is necessary'
Me, I would take it that the sensors are intelligent and don;t create
more network traffic than is needed, but as with all these things you
need to get the technical low-down rather than the publicity.

"Partners of Living PlanIT work with us to integrate their
technologies to open up new markets; one example is the fusion of
McLaren technology with that of Cisco:

For more than 20 years, McLaren has continued to develop and improve
upon its sensor and telemetric technologies. All Formula 1 racing
teams use it, in large part because it provides efficient real-time
control together with the ability to process, aggregate, and transmit
data from hundreds of sensors. Channelling similarly generated code in
an urban environment, the Cisco ISR router functions as a perfect
host—running within the context of the local network and ensuring that
no more data needs to be processed throughout the network than is
strictly necessary.

As a result, this combination of technologies provides a reliable,
scalable, unified platform for localized real-time control and sensor
processing and management. It is one of the differentiators that make
Living PlanIT's Urban Operating System the platform ideally suited for
deploying advanced technology into large scale urban developments."
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk