[Gllug] UK schools education and FOSS

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat Oct 22 13:05:44 UTC 2011

On Sat 22 Oct, Philip Hands wrote:

> Teaching people to use a version of Word that's bound to be obsolete by
> the time they hit the workforce is utterly useless -- they'd be much
> better off learning to cook a decent meal.
>
> Cheers, Phil.

   My thoughts are that whatever the brand of sausage machine you will only
get some good sausages if you use the best menu. My impression was that most
visitors to the BETT show were teachers, and very few had even heard about
FOSS, but they went to the exhibition to see what is available. I have
suggested to my local MP that there should be a kind of FOSS village offered
at low or zero cost to the various distributions so that they can provide a
show and information at both the BETT show (normally in London early in the
new year) and the Exhibition Show (normally in Birmingham in spring or
summer). Would that be welcome?

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk