[Gllug] Voda 3G USB Mobile BB

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 01:53:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Ken Smith wrote:

> Hi, Just bought one of these PAYG mobile broadband sticks from
> Vodafone. It works under XP but I'm having a few problems with it on
> Fedora 14.

That's annoying, as this isn't just a signal strength issue then.

> I've loaded the latest usb-modeswitch-data, as the FC14 setup is out
> of date, and I now get a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0

Do you also get usbserial devices on /dev/ttyUSB1 and 2 - 4 ?  I've
certainly seen that before, and only using the correct one did I get a
working ppp session.

> If I have a 'chat' to the modem with Minicom, I get the same. It will
> connect but I don't see the splurge of binary stuff that should come
> back as the remote end tries to establish its ppp session. Looking in
> the logs it seems that this is also the problem Network manager is
> having.

There could be more initialisation needed. perhaps try and find the .inf
(or whatever it is these days) files windows uses and look for what
strings it's sending.

> The initialisation string and APN I'm using is
> AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","pp.internet"

I've never seen pp.internet only internet

> Also, Vodafone have a python based dialer called vmc, but it seems to
> require Python 2.5 and its 2.7

Can you skim the src looking for initi codes and APN ?

 - Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk