[Gllug] Voda 3G USB Mobile BB

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Thu Oct 27 06:58:12 UTC 2011

John Walker wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 11:53 +0100, Ken Smith wrote:
>
>> {snip}
>>
>> I've loaded the latest usb-modeswitch-data, as the FC14 setup is out of
>> date, and I now get a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0
>>

>> {snip}
>>

> Hi Ken,
> I use a 3 mobile USB modem. It is recognised as a CD drive when it is
> first plugged in. I can "eject" by right clicking on the desktop icon
> and choosing eject. It then becomes a modem. Now it will work.
> Does this help?
> John

Thanks John, Thats what all that stuff about usb-modeswitch is about.
That little utility does the same thing you are doing manually. Although
on my machine it didn't become a modem by ejecting the CD it was
emulating until I updated the data files usb-modeswitch uses to the ones
with info about my stick.

I'm managing to get it to become a modem and then I can use Minicom to
send AT commands to it, and I can get it to it to the point where the
modem says "connect" but the ppp session that  is supposed to follow
does not start. I have sent ppp commands after "connect" to try to kick
it off but no luck.

I use my Three 'phone as a modem over bluetooth and it works fine. But I
was travelling where the Three coverage is really flaky hence the
Vodafone usb stick. I managed by using the Voda thing on WinXP.

And the Sakis3G script mentioned earlier in this thread seemed to
stumble at the same point.

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.