[Gllug] Laptop Fedora MAC Address

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Mon Apr 16 07:42:43 UTC 2012

On 15/04/12 21:24, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Marcus and others,
>
> I should add that this problem only occurs with an Ethernet
> connection.  I was using wireless and the MAC address never
> changed.

Can you pastebin some output from when this is happening, and/or some of
the other output that was suggested here?

Without some info beyond "X is happening", we are all just essentially
guessing here.

Are these MAC Address changes random?
You can confirm that it's definitely the MAC address that's changing and
not the IP address you're receiving.
* What tells you that the MAC is changing?
* What are the actual error messages (if any) that appear?
* Have you looked for networking info in /var/log/dmesg (or the output
of the 'dmesg' command itself)?
* Do you still have a working network connection, even with the MAC
address changes?
* lspci (as suggested by James)

> It only came to light when I moved to Ethernet to overcome
> the contention problem with nearly wireless networks.

what's the Ethernet hardware in that system?

For that matter, what model is the laptop?

Meet us halfway here with some actual information :)

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc. "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favourite day,"
said Pooh.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk