[Gllug] suse 12.1 not connect online

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Apr 22 18:13:02 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 23:03 +0100, Diana Scott wrote:
> dn
>
> The computer was able to go online until I changed a new hard disk and
> install this software .
>
> It is a broadband model no E08C007
>
> I phoned up virgin media they said it is a plug n play connection no
> need for passwords but they don't provide support for linux
>
> The lights on enet , sync , power , ready are stable indicate modem
> functioning fine
>
> In network manager show hardware address , speed at 10mbs , device mac
> address using automatic dhcp, mtu automatic .
>
> I don't have an ip address for the browser .
>
> Please advise .
>
> Diana
>
> > Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:30:38 +1200
> > From: gllug at getaroundtoit.co.uk
> > To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
> > Subject: Re: [Gllug] suse 12.1 not connect online
> >
> > Diana,
> >
> > On 22/04/12 08:59, Diana Scott wrote:
> > > I am using a vaio laptop and an external modem from virgin media .
> > > have installed network manager - gnome
> >
> > The community of like-minded folk here varies from beginners to
> > top-professionals. The more information you are able to share, the
> more
> > prepared people will be to volunteer assistance - and this not
> altered
> > by you confessing ignorance or better skill-level...
> >
> > Let's start with the hardware:
> > - do you have another computer or modem available that does?not
> work?
> > - which part(s) of the set-up is/are 'new'?
> > - which model of Vaio?
> > - when you say "modem" are we talking analog/dial-up, DSL, Fiber, or
> what?
> > - which model name/nr of modem?
> > - what instructions did they provide with the unit?
> > - how are the Virgin Media modem and the Vaio connected
> (cable?wireless)
> > - (if) are there 'flashing lights' at the cable connection at the
> Vaio end?
> > - does the modem show a "power" light?
> > - (if cabled) does the modem show a "LAN/Ethernet" light?
> > - (if not) does the modem show a "WLAN/Activity" light?
> > - does the modem show a "DSL" and/or "Internet" and/or "PPP" lights?
> > [please substitute your devices' lights and port 'names' so that
> folk
> > familiar with your device (I'm not) may be able to jump-in]
> > NB if the above is "no" then the trail stops with this next step!
> > - have you checked with Virgin (and they may not (want to)
> 'support'
> > Linux - see first question!) that their circuit is working
> correctly?
> > (FYI they should be able to 'see' the modem from their end, even if
> they
> > don't care for your Linux 'seeing' the modem at yours)
> >
> > Assuming all of the above, what do the instructions say is the
> method to
> > connect your PC to the modem? eg is there an IP address (such as
> [...]

Diana

Please be aware:

Virgin Media are about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.

VM will take lots of money from you, whether they provide any service or
not.

VM don't believe that there's any other operating system than Windows
(they even can't understand Apple gear).

VM can disconnect your service arbitrarily if you admit to trying to
connect anything other than Windows (they think you're trying to attack
their "service").  Only Windows accords with their silly "Terms of
Service".

Their "modem" is notoriously unreliable.  They shipped me four of them
before I found one that would work, and even then it wasn't capable of
providing the data speed they claimed, and they wouldn't do anything to
fix it.

Try resetting their modem - cycle the power.  If the lights come back on
and show connection, plug in your computer to it, and try a "ping" to
see if the modem replies (check its address in their instructions - I
think it's 192.168.1.1).  Check the settings that they provide:

DHCP enabled.

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps