[Gllug] Organising PDF files: metadata/tags

T Menezes tm.onthemove at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:44:29 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I have a growing number of books/magazines/articles in PDF which I
would like to organise before it becomes so messy as to render it
unusable. I find that relying on sensibly naming the files and
organising them into folders is not good enough any more. It's time I
byte the bullet and import all the information into a database.

I would like to move to a system where organising the data is as
independent of the choice of database/app as possible.

I can use exiftool to add/delete/update/read tags. Ideally I would go
with a database/app which reads these tags. Or write scripts that
provide the bridge between the metadata/tags and the database.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any experience with playing with
metadata/tags in PDF? In particular, is adding 'KEYWORD' tag to the
file a good/bad idea?

Thanks
TM
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk